Wednesday, January 17, 2007

All things being equal...

I explained a little bit about management. I suppose I should explain a little bit of management structure. For the last little while I have come to equate everyone involved in the directionless leadership of our organization to Robin Hood and his band of merry men.

While trying to attribute the characters to the specific people, I found there was a lot of overlap. I guess the best way would be to describe them by body type. Let's just say that in the context of a director, a number of managers, and team leads, we have a Robin Hood, Little John, Friar Tuck, Wil Scarlet, and anyone else who comes to mind. I call the project manager for standardization Maid Marian, but she could really be considered "chicken little": not a day goes by without her stressing that the sky is going to fall from the sky.

The only difference is that in this case the merry men all work FOR the Sheriff of Nottingham, the despot ruler of Sherwood Forest, whose insane passion for "effective supply chain management" cause him to treat the worker bees cruelly, loading them with expectations but little or no direction.

Sorry that this isn't as long and lengthy as my usual rants. I only want to give you the idea that I'm still alive, and I'm working really hard to keep my head down to give you all the inside scoop. We'll talk more next time, k?

Love,

Ivana Nujahb,
Anytown

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaahhh you poor little monkey!

I understand the stress...I too work in en environment that only mushrooms do well in!

Our manager, if you want to call him that...no, let's call him "Melvin" has the personality of a bag of poo.

I work in an office that values numbers, not people and I've learned to keep clear of most of the humanoids that make the rules, they're much like the borg.

Keep smiling, even if it's just to keep you sane, and know that nothing lasts forever. I keep asking myself, "how many times am I gonna' shovle sh*t for a horse I can't ride!" That's what it feel like here, but this too shall change! Most likely the staff will outlive the morons who run the joint.

I'm working on an escape plan myself. I'm hoping for something star-studded, maybe a barista with a tiara?

Ivana Nujahb said...

Oh! Thank you, Dahling! It's so nice to feel that someone out in cyberspace is experiencing the same anguish that I do! That in itself is a relief knowing that I am not alone in the universe.

We have more to discuss, but it will take some time to bring organization to my thoughts, as the very lack of organization that spawned this blog has reduced my once sharp mind to a dull banana.

Take care,

Ivana